Monday, November 3, 2008

Rocky Raccoon vs. Hana Lulu

It's cold this morning here at our little beach house. The animals are quiet and I am sitting in front of my heater typing on my computer as one of Sally's box turtles looks on. You may wonder why he is indoors? Well, the other night at about 4AM our dog sat up in the bed and began acting weird. Shaking and whimpering, but not barking. Sally woke me up "There's someone in the front yard. go out there and see!" she said. I just laid there pretending to sleep, but listening very closely. I didn't hear anything "Seriously Jim, Hana hears something. Get up and check it out!" I turned over and said I didn't hear anything and maybe she should just let Hanna out to have a look-see. So she did The next thing you know my dog is going off on something outside and Sally's calling for help and I'm afraid we're going to wake up the whole neighborhood. 
              
One thing you should know about Hana, our dog. She is a little white poodle mix that we adopted from the dog pound. She weighs all of 10 pounds. She's a big dog inside a little dog's body. Not very menacing, but very loud. What Hana found was a raccoon about twice her size trying to pick up and steal our little box turtle from inside it's turtle run (a flower bed with tall sides). This was one big raccoon, at least 2-3 times the size and weight of Hana, but no match for her. Hana chased the raccoon over the fence and let out a few more last minute yaps as 'Rocky' ran off empty handed. Hana ran back inside, muddy paws and all, and jumped up on the bed where she sat tall and proud for most of the rest of the night, on guard. By the way, all of this was relayed to me by Sally, who witnessed these events while standing inside the front door screen in her bathrobe. I stayed in bed. Hey, my dog had it under control.

Sally went out and retrieved the poor turtle who was upside down and closed up very tightly. Now it sleeps inside every night. It likes to meet me in the bathroom every morning and follow me around as I start my day, until I put it outside.

So what else is new? This week my band is hosting a Blues Jam Night on Tuesday night at the SLO Down Pub in Arroyo Grande. This is our 5th week doing this and the response has been incredible. We've been having a great time with lots of fine musicians joining showing up. With the help of Ja-rad (Bass), Little Joe Samson( BluesHarp ), and DrummerDon and and our newest member, Charlie! on guitarly! We start at 7:30 (ish) and jam til 10:30 Oh yeah! Where is it? SLO Down Pub in Arroyo Grand on the corner of Grand and Brisco For more information you go to the slo down web site www.slodownpub.com 

And there's more... Starting this Thursday and going on every first and third Thursday of the month I will be sponsoring a singer / songwriter night at the same club. Bring your guitar. A piano and PA are provided. Bring some copies of your lyrics for interesting feedback on your song(s). This is a great place to work on your craft and network with other writers. It should be fun Finally, Please visit me at www.screamingjimmy.com and let me know what you think of my new web site, or if you are a myspace person, come and be my friend. I'm at www.myspace.com/screamingjimmy 

1 comment:

Nathan B. Spooner said...

They were playing country music by the cable car that day, he came by to listen while we played. When we were almost halfway through "My old Kentucky Home", I turned and saw him lying on the ground.

Well it's down along the sidewalk wino brother. Brother who has drunk the wine too long. He's 54 and passe out by the bass wash tub, sleeping like a baby in the sun.

Something in the music now might carry you back home. Maybe you been gone away too long.
But it's half past four and we are going home now, wonder if we soothed you with our song.

From Chapter 10:
Stories from Berkeley